The goal this week is to get back into the swing of things. For various reasons, I haven’t been to get much writing done lately, but I’m hoping to have the time this week to change that. As I mentioned earlier, I’m starting work on the third Allison Newberry mystery. So far, I’ve got a good idea to work from, an interesting new location, and a brand new case that’s gotta be solved. The current word count is roughly 7,200 and I’m hoping to write at least 1,000 words per day, at least while I’m still trying to work out some of the plot elements. See, although I’m already writing it, there are a few things that I’m still not sure about. Basically, the logic of the situation I’m setting up still needs to be worked out, because certain parts of it don’t necessarily make the most sense. Now, sometimes you have to do things that don’t make sense, but they still need to feel like they’re something that’s possible within this world and by these characters.
But give it a little time and I’ll get there!
Filed under Mystery, Writing
This week is much the same as last week. I’m still working my way through Beyond Sand and Sky, which is coming along very well. Unfortunately, this phase of writing is fairly slow, because I’m actually doing a lot of rewrites along the way. Just about every sentence in the story is being reworked for quality, coherence, and length. A lot of the sentences were just too long and too convoluted, owing to me going through a phase of wanting more complex and interesting sentence. It sort of worked, and sort of didn’t. I did eventually manage to move away from curt, clinical sentences and develop better writing skills, but the more immediate results included a novel with lots of bloated and confusion sentences. So, I’m taking my current skill level and working to bring the writing quality in this slightly older story up to where it should be at this stage in my development as a writer.
I’m also looking into ways to get more promotion for Eyes of Diamond, Hair of Gold. I gave away 50 digital copies of the book to interested readers at Library Thing, which I hope will result in a bevy of reviews and some much-needed attention. Another thing I’m doing is contacting websites that review indie books and seeing if any of them are interested in reading it.
Well, those are my two main goals right now: get more people interested in my last book and finish up work on my next book.
Eyes of Diamond, Hair of Gold is now finished and available for sale. This was a big project for me, not necessarily in length or the complexity of the story, but in writing a sequel that would continue the tradition set by the original story and exceed it in the ways that it needed to be exceeded. I feel very confident that I was able to do that. If you’ve not gotten your own copy yet, you can find the Kindle version on Amazon and the paperback version on Create Space [links are available on the right side of the main page and in the book specific tag at the top of the main page]. If you’ve already got it, read it and enjoy it!
As for what I’m working on this week, I’m going back to a fantasy story I wrote some time ago and then set aside for a while. It’s a dark fantasy odyssey called Between Sand and Sky about an exiled prince’s search through a desert wasteland for his long-lost sister. It’s a story I’m particularly proud of, because I put a lot of work into creating characters that felt unique and compelling and then giving them ample opportunity to be developed over the course of the story, particularly the relationship between the prince and a slavegirl he rescues along the way. So, for now, I’m getting it all fixed up and fleshing out this rough draft into something that’s ready for people to read it. Hopefully, that won’t take too long.
Goals for the new week:
-Figure out a way to get my map of Illdara into the paperback version of Murder at the End of the World
-Finish up the second edition of Murder at the End of the World and get it released
The first goal proved to be a lot trickier than I initially thought it would. First off, I had to completely redraw the map using a mouse and trying to get it to look as close as possible to the one I drew up before I started writing the book. Not that easy. Ultimately, it looks slightly different, but all the information is virtually the same, so it’ll definitely work the way I want it to. Next was trying to get the size right so that it will fit in the document file that I have to upload to Create Space. Probably took me a good 2-3 hours in all, but I think it’s going to work.
Writing on the second edition of Murder at the End of the World is coming along well. I added a bit more to it today and although it wasn’t a huge addition, I added a few bits that tie in really nicely to the last couple of chapters and flesh out the whole mystery/investigation.
With Deadeye finally finished and out in digital form, this is what I’ll be working on next:
-Prepare a paperback release for Deadeye
-Start working on a “Second Edition” for Murder at the End of the World [yes, I really am doing it after all]
-Look into sending out a press release for my books
So, that’s what I’ll be working on this week. After some thought, I decided a second edition for Murder at the End of the World really was a good idea, despite saying earlier that I would do one. Anyway, I think there are some things that I can do with it that I’ve learned since writing my first mystery novel and everything I’ve worked on since. Hopefully it will turn out as well as the thought I have in my mind about how it will turn out. When that’s done, I’m going to look into doing a press release for it, maybe see if I can drum up a little local interest.